What is resume format?
When you are a job seeking, you are on the way of creating your own resume that will the main criteria an employer will judge you. Resume is an overview of your personality, possibilities, and experience. Therefore, the first step you need to do is to choose format you will create your resume. Resume format make you clear the way you will write the resume, depending on a variety of prescriptions and standards of definite format. After you choose the needed format, you want to pull out the information necessary to appear in each direction of your future job.
Resume formats variety
Traditionally, resume formats exist in one of three distinct formats, with very few exceptions. They are chronological, functional and hybrid. Each has its own unique characteristics, advantages, and disadvantages, depending on your current career goals or job preferences.
- The chronological resume is the most commonly used resume format, because it is easy to create and it provides not so much information but only the most important for possible employer. In a chronological resume, you provide a list of your job experience in chronological order. You start with your recent position and then describe your earliest job places. The structure of the chronological resume consists of two distinct sections: work experience and education.
- Functional resumes appear in less spreading and in opposition to chronological resume focuses on your possibilities as an employee. The main advantage of the functional resume is that it concentrates a greater emphasis on skill, competence, qualifications, and accomplishment. It takes place more than your work history. The functional resume has a structure of three main points: section of a detailed information of your skills, experiences, advantages, regards, and other career preferences and goals; work experience not detailed information about your previous job places and experiences; finally, education information, specialization, and professional sphere.
- Last format is hybrid resume; it gives you the possibility to combine the advantages of both the chronological and the functional resume formats. So at least you obtain the resume format that will contain the list of your work history combining the skills and competence, qualification, during your work experience.
Key resume format elements
Each resume format tends to provide certain common elements:
- Contact information includes name, address, e-mail address and phone number.
- Skills summary is list of your most useful and necessary skills, qualifications, and knowledge.
- Career summary provides your job preferences and competence in definite sphere.
- Employment experience describes each of your job position: responsibilities, using skills, accomplishments or awards, regards during your job experience
- Education or other courses, trainings
Unnecessary elements in resume format
Last thing you want to take into account is what elements are not required to appear in resume format. They are:
- Date of birth
- Material status
- Mention of references