What is a Gantt chart?
- The Gantt chart is named after Henry Gantt, who studied management on the example of building ships during the First World War and proposed his diagram consisting of tasks and points as a means to represent the duration and sequence of tasks in the project.
All elements of the chart are customizable segments, each of which can consist of three elements: the start point, end point and intermediate part.
The segments denoting tasks consist only of the intermediate part, and the final tasks are only from the starting point.
What are the advantages of a Gantt chart?
What make charts of Gantt so special?
- It shows the relationship between tasks, the duration of tasks, the duration of the entire project.
- The graph has segments whose length correspond to the duration of the tasks, and the points that indicate the completion of tasks.
- Refers to the type of bar charts and is called the band diagram.
To comply with and analyze the timing of project objectives, the Gantt chart is an indispensable tool that visually shows the progress of the project and provides an opportunity to compare planned times to actual ones.
HOW TO INTERPRET GANTT CHARTS?
To understand how to interpret Gantt charts, it is better to look at a simple example.
You see that the example below shows a Gantt chart with tasks and special date for each of them.
How can you read the graph?
- Rectangular bars show the duration of each task
- The starting and ending point of rectangles represent the startind and ending dates of project, appropriately.
- To know the due date of each task, you have to look at the name of the task from the vertical axis and to look at the dates, you need to look at the crossing point in vertical axis.
- For instance, Task3 should start on 23rd of May and be done by 29th of the same month. It is that simple!
EASY GANTT CHART MAKERS
Making Gantt charts is not an easy job to do, but that’s not a problem nowadays. There are a lot of graph maker apps and websites online that you can use with ease and for free.
Using them will save you a lot of effort, since they do not require any graphing or additional program skills. All you have to do is to enter your data in, and choose any colour, style you like. They save a lot of time.
Below are just a few of these websites that offer this service for you free o fcharge.
- Office Timeline (officetimeline.com),
- Gantter (gantter.com),
- Mind Tools (mindtools.com),
- SmartSheet (smartsheet.com),
- GanttPRO (ganttpro.com)
Choose a Gantt chart maker website or app you liked, enter in your data, and let the magic happen in just a few minutes; Good luck!