The Function of a Bar Graph
The bar graph is most useful when comparing the performance of multiple items in performance reports. This graph shows how an item performs according to other one. The graph is versatile and has horizontal bars which are proportional to amounts and also hold lengths. It is a great tool to compare performance and clearly identify the situations. With this analyse; potential trends and exploits can be provided. The axes of X and Y are set to match the selected metrics for the bar charts. This is a popular tool for many people because these graphs are the only graphic types that show the data horizontally. Thus, you can display of the data that occurs over time. There is a start date and a finish date. It is also widely used to display information broken into categories.
What are the Types of the Bar Charts?
There are different types of a bar graph. Below you can review the types:
- Stacked Bar Chart: This is a graph which multiple series vertically stacked. If your graph has only one, the stacked graph is displayed as same as the graph.
- Percent Stacked Bar Chart: This is a graph that has more one series stacked vertically so that it fits completely with the graph area.
- 3B Clustered Bar Chart: This graph displays individual charts in separate lines on a 3B Chart.
- 3B Cylinder Bar Chart: This is a graph with cylinders on its bars in a 3B chart.
Points to Note about the Data in a Bar Chart
For a bar chart; there are some important points and details that you should pay attention to:
- Axis displayed in bar charts. Y axes –vertical axis is called as category axes. X axes -Horizontal axis is called as value axis.
- In order to show the comparisons, you can use bar charts and column charts. These graphs are very popular for this purpose. You may use stacked and column graphs if there are more than three series on the graph.
- You can see the values on this graph as in left to right direction. This may be more understandable when displaying the information with the time.
- If you want to input a table, matrix etc. bars in the report, you would better to use a linear graph. To enhance the visual effect of the graph, you can input individual drawings to the bars in the graphic.
- If there are too many data points in your data set compared to the size of your graph, the sizes of the columns or bars and the gaps between them will be reduced.
The Practical Templates
There are some templates for the bar charts at many websites. This method is very practical and you can use them free! Websites provide various templates such as; blanked bar chart template, student bar chart template, double bar chart template, printable bar chart template etc.…Choose the best one for your needs and start to create your bar graph easily!