How does the Cleidocranial Dysplasia affect?
Cleidocranial Dysplasia usually affects the teeth and the collarbones. The absence or inadequate development clavicle bones causes this disease. As a result of this disease, the shoulders become close to each other, deformities occur in the bones of the head; teeth do not collapse or develop insufficiently. One of the most prominent features of this illness is hereditary. It can be seen among the members of the same family. Patients who suffer from this condition usually have a short height. We can say as an average height: men are 1.55, women are 1.45 meters.
What are the Symptoms?
This disease often has symptoms that can be clearly seen from the outside. There are many symptoms; sometimes the patients who are in the same family may come to hospital with different signs. Some symptoms of this disease are below:
- Patients’ shoulders look narrow and also they are sloping; because their collarbones are absent or do not develop sufficiently.
- In more serious cases, rarely the shoulders may come together in front of the body.
- Spaces between the fontanels bones are generally open in this disease. Normally, it should have been closed in the early ages.
- The patients with disorder are generally shorter than their healthy family members.
- Their faces are generally like a bird.
- Osteopenia may be seen in these people.
- Wide-big eyes
- Oral cyst-oral problems
- Women have narrow pelvis and caesarean is highly probably.
- Tooth abnormities are seen; the primary teeth of these people fall late.
- They may also have hearing problems; a loss of hearing may be seen.
- A delay in motor skills may be seen in the children.
- Disease does not affect the intelligence.
As we explained, there are some other symptoms for Cleidocranial Dysplasia but these signs may vary from person to person.
What is the reason?
According to the researches, there is no any connection between this illness and the mother/her behaviours during the pregnancy period. This is as the result of the dominant gene of the illness. It passes from the family members to the child. A mutation occurs in Runx2 causes this condition and also 6p21 chromosome is responsible for this disease.
Do the patients need a Treatment?
This disease can cause big problems as both physical and dental. People with this disorder mostly suffer from the dental problems. Serious complications may have seen and dental treatment is very important for these patients. There may be some useful methods for this illness:
- Dentures treatment may be a good method. Dentures are applied on the teeth.
- A treatment to remove all the problematic teeth may be dangerous if they are removed at once.
- According to the some doctors; the primary teeth can be removed and this may not affect the durable teeth as negatively.
There may be some other dental treatments for the Cleidocranial Dysplasia patients; their situations are sensitive and a treatment can lead to another problem while being suitable for solving a problem.