GREENSTİCK FRACTURE İN CHİLDREN
Greenstick fracture is a trauma that is characteristic only to children. In children, the bones are very fragile, but at the same time flexible in comparison with adults, but the envelope covering them is thick and durable, permeated with blood vessels.
Specific fractures in children, which in most cases are atypical for adults, are due to a number of features of the children’s skeleton. In this regard, not all injuries of this type are easy to identify and diagnose without qualified medical care.
Types of Greenstıck Fracture
According to the state of bone tissue, all fractures can be divided into 2 groups:
Traumatic, arising from the impact on the bone system of any force. They may be accompanied by damage to the muscles, soft tissues, tendons, nerves, circulatory system. They happen: closed – without disturbance of surrounding tissues of a bone; Open – with a wound from the bone fragments to the surface.
Pathological or spontaneous are the consequence of chronic painful processes in the body, which violate the integrity, structure and strength of the bone system.
A complete fracture with a displacement in a child is no different from a similar injury to an adult. It:
- Impossibility of motor activity;
- Nervous excitement with weeping;
- Occurrence of deformation;
- Increased body temperature;
- The appearance of bruising.
These symptoms manifest simultaneously or alternately.
Pain sensations can be observed only in a limited area, at the site of the fracture. In this case, it is possible to determine the type of damage and to diagnose only with the help of X-ray study.
To understand that the bones of children may be damaged, it is possible by raising the temperature in the first days after the injury – it will increase to 37-38 ° C. This is caused by the absorption of the contents of the resulting hematoma.
If you suspect a fracture, it is very important not to panic, to immediately call for medical help, if necessary, and to put the tire on the limb. In a specialized institution you need to continue to remain calm, so that the child is not afraid of unfamiliar surroundings.
Even if the abruption is not probed, the doctor prescribes the child for the examination:
- Computer, magnetic resonance imaging;
- Examination of children’s specialists – traumatologist, surgeon, cardiologist, neurologist;
- A blood test for the detection of antinuclear antibodies, the degree of ESR.
- X-ray diagnostics
After a thorough examination, diagnostic procedures, a small patient is prescribed treatment. This can be one of two types:
- Conservative treatment of children’s injuries is a one-stage closed reposition with the imposition of a cast bandage. It is used for fractures with a slight displacement: the usual fracture of the forearm, ankle, shin, foot, phalanx of the fingers of both extremities.
- Operative treatment for children is carried out by the gentlest methods. Gypsum is applied after all diagnostic procedures and do not take off a whole month, watching the process with the help of an X-ray.
What Would Happen İf Not Treated?
If such fracture is not treated, then bone fragments can shift and their fusion in the wrong position can occur with the formation of bone deformation, usually angular, and this will require further interventions. Therefore, if your child falls, struck, and has complaints about pain in the arm or other part of the body, do not neglect the doctor’s appointment, even if it doesn’t seem as a big problem.
We hope, you liked the article and now, have a clear understanding of greenstick fracture.